Vacancy Number: P150C
We are expanding our software and systems engineering team and are looking for new skills and capabilities at our Chertsey site. As a software engineer, you will be work hands-on with all aspects of software development, including design, in a wide variety of software environments. This opportunity is perfect for personal development and could lead to a team-leading role.
This work will cover both the Maritime and Land domains and may include assisting and mentoring junior engineers as appropriate.
Reporting to: Project Manager or Software Design Lead
- Software design, development, and review (from concept to final product) for a range of systems from small embedded single processors through to multi-processor networked systems.
- Work with systems and hardware engineers to implement software solutions that may include software-hardware and software-firmware interfaces.
- Work to detailed technical requirements through all phases of design, integration and testing.
- Communicate effectively with other team members within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Generate clear and concise technical documentation as required, both for internal company use and as part of a deliverable customer documentation pack.
- Provide technical input to decisions on the suitability of software design solutions.
- Liaise and co-operate with the Project Managers and Software Design Lead to resolve technical, project or resource problems and conflicts.
- Supporting the research and development of products within the Company, improving engineering quality, efficiency, and cost.
- Participate in project reviews and support presentations at relevant Design Review Meetings.
- Support to the business development team and input to technical proposals when required and be able to handle sensitive information in the course of your work
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of software design and development, particularly using UML based design specification and implementation in at least one of the key software languages; C, C++, C# and Java.
- Knowledge and experience in Windows, Linux and RTOSs operating systems; Linux would be desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of structured software design methodologies
- Experience of working in a defence environment would be desirable.
- Interest in professional development or working towards Chartered status would be desirable.
- Have a high level of both verbal and written communication skills, able to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, customers, and suppliers.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-site team.
- Innovative and creative thinking.
- Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short periods of detached duty where necessary.