Senior Software Engineer
Vacancy Number: P0165C; P0166C; P0167C; P0168
We are on the lookout for a Software Engineer to join our Maritime Communications design and development team. This role will have a specific focus on Maritime communication capabilities within both the UK/NATO and the global context, encompassing both present capabilities and those anticipated in the future.
The role includes software design, development, and review for a diverse range of systems, from small embedded single processors to multi-processor networked systems. Collaborating closely with systems and hardware engineers, you'll create multidisciplinary solutions, defining software-hardware and software-firmware interfaces. Ensuring technical requirements are met at every stage of design, integration, and ultimately leading to customer acceptance.
Additionally, there may be opportunities to step into the role of a Software lead when extra support is needed on projects, bids, and product development activities. You'll engage in effective communication with Project Managers and Design Authorities to resolve technical, project, or resource-related challenges and conflicts.
The ideal candidate should be knowledgeable and experienced in software design and development. With various high-level programming languages, including C++, C, Java, and experience with embedded and desktop operating systems such as Linux and Windows, are essential. Prior experience with tools like Visual Studio and Enterprise Architect would be advantageous
- The architectural and detailed design of software solutions to meet requirements.
- Work with other internal design disciplines, and external suppliers, to develop successful design solutions.
- Consider design for manufacture and test, to ensure smooth transition to production.
- Software integration of solutions, including fault finding.
- Comply with all health and safety requirements and safe practices and procedures
- Prepare high-quality documentation and drawings associated with the development lifecycle, and configuration.
- Assist and liaise with project teams on software aspects of products and systems.
- Occasional offsite support to install and maintain products and systems.
Qualifications and Skills
- Evaluation, mitigation and management experience of software engineering risks across projects.
- A high level of both verbal and written communication skills both internal and external.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise workload with a hands-on approach.
- Natural problem solving and fault-finding skills.
- Internal and external stakeholder relationship management skills.
- Ability to present complex ideas to all business levels both internally and externally.
- Experience working independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-site team.
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short periods of detached duty where necessary.
- Previous experience working with MoD equipment test standards.
- Degree-level education in a related engineering discipline. (desirable)
- Chartered member of a professional institution or working towards Chartered status would be desirable. (desirable)
- Ability to obtain higher UK Security Clearance.
- Ability to obtain, or already hold, a Full UK driving license.