Senior Firmware Engineer
Vacancy Number: P0125C
This role offers the opportunity for a Firmware Engineer to join our Maritime Communications team. Your primary responsibility is to translate complex system requirements into advanced Firmware design solutions, all while adhering to project timelines and budget constraints.
You'll work within the Maritime Communications Business Segment on significant Sovereign and Overseas projects. Your role involves architectural and detailed design of Firmware solutions, collaborating with internal teams and external partners to ensure successful outcomes. Additionally, you'll play a crucial role in systems integration, including troubleshooting and resolution.
As a key contributor, you'll also be responsible for creating high-quality documentation in line with our company's procedures and assisting project teams with firmware-related aspects.
Your commitment to health and safety practices is essential, and the right person should also have broad electronics design experience, particularly in digital design techniques with an emphasis on FPGA technology. This includes proficiency in FPGA design in VHDL, test bench design, and familiarity with FPGA vendor tools.
As a Senior Electronics Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- The conceptual design of systems and sub-systems to meet a set of defined requirements.
- Working with other internal design disciplines, and external suppliers, to develop successful design solutions.
- Consideration of design for manufacture and test, to ensure smooth transition to production.
System integration of solutions, including fault finding.
- Working with external test houses to demonstrate equipment complies with MoD and European standards, including CE/UKCA marking.
- Complying with all health and safety requirements and safe practices and procedures operated by the company.
- Preparation of high-quality documentation and drawings associated with the development lifecycle (e.g.
Bill of Materials, schematics, and Change Notes), and configuration in accordance with company procedures.
- Assisting and liaising with project team and electronic aspects of products and systems.
- Occasional offsite support to install and maintain products and systems.
Qualifications & Skills
To perform this role successfully, you must have:
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise workload.
- Problem solving and fault finding skills.
- The ability to work with internal and external stakeholders to develop solutions.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- The ability to evaluate, mitigate and manage engineering risks across projects for which you will be directly/indirectly responsible.
- Previous experience working with MoD Customers ad equipment test standards.
- Degree-level education in a related engineering discipline.
- The ability to obtain higher UK Security Clearance.
- The ability to obtain full UK driving licence.
- The ability to present complex ideas to all levels of the customer community and both internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-site team.
- A willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short periods of detached duty where necessary.
- Chartered membership of a professional institution or working towards Chartered status (desirable)