Safety Critical Software Test Engineer
Location: Chertsey, Portland
Vacancy Number: P0132C/P
Drumgrange is seeking to expand its software and systems engineering skills and capability at its Chertsey site and has an exciting opportunity for the most able of Safety Critical Software Test Engineers.
The work will include all aspects of software development from design to test, verification and validation in a safety critical software environment, and may include assisting and mentoring junior engineers as appropriate. Opportunities exist for personal development and increasing responsibility into a team leading role. The work covers both the Maritime and Land domains.
Reporting to: Project Manager or Software Design Lead
- Software design, development and review (from concept to final product) for a range of systems from small embedded single processors through to multi-processor networked systems
- Work with systems and hardware engineers to implement software solutions that may include software-hardware and software-firmware interfaces.
- Undertake safety critical design activities at the equipment, system and software levels ensuring rigorous test procedures are in place to verify these.
- Be able to undertake detailed technical requirements through all phases of design, integration and testing.
- Communicate effectively with other team members within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Generate clear and concise technical documentation as required, both for internal company use and as part of a deliverable customer documentation pack.
- Provide technical input to decisions on the suitability of software design solutions
- Liaise and co-operate with the Project Managers and Software Design Lead to resolve technical, project or resource problems and conflicts.
- Supporting the research and development of products within the Company, improving engineering quality, efficiency and cost.
- Participate in project reviews and support presentations at relevant Design Review Meetings.
- Ability to maintain a number of production test and reference facilities.
- Experienced in problem solving, fault finding and repair down to component level for both analogue and digital designs.
- Ability to interpret circuit diagrams, cable drawings and parts lists.
- Support to the business development team and input to technical proposals when required and be able to handle sensitive information in the course of your work
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of software design and development, particularly using UML based design specification and implementation in at least one of the key software languages; C, C++, C# and Java.
- Knowledge and experience of structured software design methodologies.
- Degree level educated in a related engineering discipline.
- Experience of working in a defence critical safety environment to sil level 2.
- Interest in professional development or working towards Chartered status would be desirable.
- Have a high level of both verbal and written communication skills, able to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, customers and suppliers.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-site team.
- Innovative and creative thinking.
- Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short periods of detached duty where necessary.
- Previous experience working on Defence projects.
- IPC level inspection certification.
- BTEC Electronics qualification (ONC/HNC/HND) or equivalent.